Friday, December 20, 2019

The end of a saga

The first movie I remember being excited to see was Return of the Jedi. I remember seeing Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back in the theatre. But RotJ was the first movie I couldn’t wait to see. Now 37 years later I am sitting in an empty theatre waiting for the final chapter of the Skywalker saga to begin. 




 
Star Wars was a huge part of my youth. The toys, the movies, the waiting in a long line at MGM studios to go on the Star Tours ride or even the bedding. It was everything. It was part of our family fabric. I’m sitting in the same theatre (the historic Midway theatre) that my mom brought us to see RotJ all those years earlier. 
My young adulthood was filled with Star Wars special editions and prequels. And I thank a certain someone for humoring me as we sat in theaters all over the city to watch them multiple times. 









I was happy as a dad I was able to share Star Wars with my kids. I can’t count how many lightsabers I bought over the years. One year I went trick or treating with Luke and Leia. And I knew that the next generation was on the right track. 





This movie starts in about twenty minutes. And I come into it with no preconceived notions. I’ll accept any ending. And be thankful for all the men and women who made a truly American fairytale. 


No comments:

Post a Comment