Sunday, February 17, 2019

Time Breaker



When I found out that I was going to have a free (non-traveling) Saturday, I texted one of my buddies to see if he and his wife were doing anything. They were free, and when we were figuring out what we were going to do, I mentioned I had a new game. All of a sudden we had a plan.

We were going to try out Time Breaker from Looney Labs . It's no secret that Looney Labs is my favorite game publisher. Fluxx was my first foray into modern gaming, Zendo is one of the best games I've played in the last few years, and you can’t beat the vast array of games you can play using Looney Pyramids.

So Time Breaker which will be released at the end of February is both simple and extremely complicated all at the same time. Which is kind of the Looney Way? In the game, you need to capture a criminal and bring it back to the Time Repair Agency. Easy enough right? No. In addition to the other players also trying the capture the criminal, there is also the time traveling element.

Did I not mention the time traveling. Yeah, there is time traveling. There are no straight lines back to the TRA. You and your captive need to jump from the past (age of dinosaurs) to the recent past (moon landing) to the distant future (World Peace) and beyond and before.

It's the kind of game where you look at your cards and you see your path to victory. Only to watch one of your “Friends” do something to mess up your best laid out plans. The game is for 2-5 players, 8 and up, and can take ten minutes or a lot longer depending on how quickly the players catch on and the level of strategizing they are capable of.

The game is really easy to learn, there is virtually no set up, has high replay value and it is compact enough that you can carry it around in a backpack so a game can break out where ever ... or more accurately whenever.

NOTE: While I did receive a copy of Time Breaker to facilitate this review, there was no further compensation and all the thoughts and opinions are my own.



No comments:

Post a Comment