Thursday, January 24, 2019

Pawz And Cupcake 


Last night I arrived home after the long drive from North Carolina and for the first time in as long as I can remember there was no one else there.

When we separated almost 18 months ago, my ex and the kids headed down south and I was left with the two cats, Pawz and Cupcake. I was not thrilled about it. I didn't want these cats in the first place. Now I was stuck with them. They couldn't move down until my ex got a bigger place.
As the months went on. I got used to them. Did I get used to them walking on me when I was sleeping? No. But I got used to them. Then I starting thinking about Tony Soprano’s ducks. Or were they geese.


I’ll call them ducks. There were these ducks living in the Soprano’s pool. And Tony who despite being a sociopath, loves animals. Think back to what he really got mad about during Christopher’s intervention. But I digress. Tony had told Dr. Melfi about the birds, and she surmised that they were stand ins for his family and he was so sad when they flew away from him.

While I don't think the cats were stand ins for my family I certainly see similarities in the personalities of the cats and my kids. Pawz, the younger male cat is a little reckless, willing to try new things, insistent and despite himself super sweet and loving. And Cupcake, the older female cat is more reserved, loves lounging around once she is comfortable, but will slide into the background until she is ready to not be in the background. They're both high maintenance, but Cupcake pretends shes not.



And if you really know my kids, you would think I was describing them. I hadn't really thought about it until I drove them (the cats) down to their new home on that frigid Monday morning. As expected when I arrived with two cat boxes to the house, my son was super excited that he was finally reunited with his beloved cats, my daughter was a little more reserved and wanted to see how this was going to play out.

I texted my ex and said that I kind of missed the cats. She wasn’t surprised and suggested getting dog. I don’t think I’m going to miss them that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment